843.217.2100 [email protected]

CREEKSIDE | COOPER ESTATES | OLD VILLAGE | SHEMWOOD | THE GROVES | BAYVIEW ACRES

Mount Pleasant has it’s share of special waterfront property, but Shem Creek has become a great spot to catch a beer, some tasty shrimp, and to take in the action down on the water.  Though it has always been a major hub for Charleston’s shrimping fleet, Shem Creek has recently become a destination for kayakers and paddleboarders.

One of the best kept secrets are the homes and neighborhoods surrounding Shem Creek, such as The GrovesCooper Estates, Creekside, and Shemwood.   Mount Pleasant’s founding can be traced to a neighborhood which slightly borders Shem Creek to the east, known as Old Village, which is often confused with Old Mount Pleasant.  In addition, there is Bayview Acres, which is a nice little oasis tucked in between the marshes of Shem Creek and Patriot’s Point.

Here are the latest Realtor MLS homes for sale in the neighborhoods around Shem Creek. This page will feature listings that are updated several times a day.


Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.


Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.

Median Sales Price For Lower Mount Pleasant Zip Code 29464

For further information on homes in this area, contact us by phone at 843-217-1100 or via email at  [email protected].

 

 



 

More about Shem Creek

Use The JD Hall Team’s custom google map below to see more information about Shem Creek neighborhoods.  You can drill down further via the neighborhood links which will show you homes that are currently listed for sale on the Charleston MLS.

 

 

 

 

 

These pelicans probably don’t realize it, but they are perched on some valuable historical real estate.  I found this little blurb at a fun website shemcreeksc.com/History/ that breaks down some of the key dates, but here is where it starts:

1680 – As one of the original colonists to arrive in 1670, Captain Florence O’Sullivan was granted 2,340 acres of land in what is now the Old Village of Mount Pleasant, just south of Shem Creek (Indian name Shem-ee). This land, known as the Ferry Tract, included Sullivan’s Island and the neck of land that stretches from Shem Creek, Cove Inlet and then to the Charleston Harbor. Although Sullivan’s Island was named after him, it is unclear whether or not he actually owned the island. The first white settlers arrived from England on July 6, 1680 under Captain O’Sullivan’s leadership. The Indians called it ‘Oldwanus” Point’, which was later anglicized to ‘Old Woman’s Point’, and then ‘North Point’, which is on the earliest map of the time. This is where Old Mount Pleasant is located today. Our Indian heritage is still reflected in some of the current street names, such as: Oldwanus Drive, Sewee Circle, Shem Street and Drive, and Mataoka Street. Originally part of Christ Church Parish, which was established at this time, Mount Pleasant’s woods and fertile land gave way to boroughs, plantations, and coastal gunneries.

Share This