Kiawah Island Homes For Sale
Kiawah Island Homes For Sale
This real estate page is updated several times a day with Realtor MLS listings delivered by the Charleston Trident Multiple Listing Service. You can be notified by email the moment new homes are listed on the market on Kiawah Island by signing up for email alerts.
The data relating to real estate for sale on this web site comes in part from the Broker Reciprocity Program of the Charleston Trident Multiple Listing Service. Real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than Dunes Properties of Mount Pleasant are marked with the Broker Reciprocity logo or the Broker Reciprocity thumbnail logo (a little black house) and detailed information about them includes the name of the listing brokers.
Information on this site is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. Any use of the search facilities of data on this site, other than by a consumer looking to purchase real estate, is prohibited.
Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. The broker providing this data believes it to be correct, but advises interested parties to confirm information before relying on it for a purchase decision.
ABOUT KIAWAH ISLAND
Located about 30 minutes south of Downtown Charleston, Kiawah Island offers the kind of exclusive resort style living not found in many other parts of the United States. Some of the features found on this island include:
- 10 miles of sweeping beaches,
- 5,000 acres of marshland;
- 305 acres of lakes and ponds;
- 123 acres of parks,
- preserves and common land;
- and an array of wildlife, including bobcats, cougars, ospreys, herons and loggerhead turtles.
The island’s land mass is about 14 square miles, a few of which are occupied by a total of five world class golf courses designed by the likes of Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player, Tom Fazio and Pete Dye.
About half of the Island’s 10,000 acres are undeveloped natural lowlands, and of the high ground, half again has been donated for conservation, parks, or recreational uses. In addition, Kiawah Partners deeded between 300 and 400 acres of valuable dune land to the Kiawah Island Community Association to provide a permanent buffer to protect the beach and multiple dune rows for all to enjoy.
There are about 3500 homes and cottages on the island and they tend to blend almost imperceptibly with the environment. The guiding principle is that the architecture ought to work with the natural surroundings, not transform them. Some of the architecture on the island is first rate. The clubhouse was designed by Shannon’s old firm, Robert A.M. Stern Architects and the Architecture Review Board provides a steady hand to ensure new construction adhere’s to the community’s focus on stewardship of the land. Properties for sale can range widely, from $450,000 for one of the cottages to as much as $24M for a larger estate property.
Suggestions for Buyers
- Take time to define your search parameters. Make a list of your needs and wants.
- Set a budget, taking into consideration other fees such as taxes, insurance, utilities, association fees, and club membership deposits and dues.
- Narrow down the type or types of properties you are interested in: villa, cottage, single-family home, homesite.
- What amenities do you hope to be near? What amenities do you plan on using on a regular basis? Consider golf courses, the exercise facilities, the beach, Freshfields Village, etc.
- Is there a specific view that you’re aiming for? Marsh, river, ocean, lagoon, golf, wooded, or a combination of views?
- How many bedrooms and bathrooms do you need?
- What is your buying time frame?